Privately owned and independent, Bessemer Trust is a multifamily office that has served individuals and families of substantial wealth for more than 100 years. Through comprehensive investment management, wealth planning, and family office services, we help clients achieve peace of mind for generations. The firm oversees more than $100 billion in assets for approximately 2,500 relationships.
Bessemer Trust’s Delaware bank has an opening for an Assistant Trust Officer/Assistant Fiduciary Counsel in its Wilmington office, located in Wilmington’s Montchanin community. The office supports Ultra High Net Worth clients, and has grown since its formation in 2004, to administer more than 1,300 highly customized trusts with more than $80 billion in assets under supervision. Delaware’s unique trust laws and the ability of Delaware trusts to hold unconventional assets provide for a distinctively transactional work environment. The successful candidate will work on tasks and projects that will teach sophisticated estate planning techniques as well as income, gift, estate and other tax laws. Hands on training will provide the opportunity for the successful candidate to advance toward an assigned book of accounts and promotion to Trust Officer.
The successful candidate will work one-on-one with the department’s experienced Trust Officers, who will directly assign and supervise responsibilities of the position, which might include:
- Reviewing governing instruments (e.g. trust agreements and wills) for sophisticated trusts and preparing trust analyses as part of the Initial Trust Review process; following up on critical identified action items that remain outstanding to ensure proper trust administration.
- Drafting Direction Letters for complex business and trust asset transactions.
- Drafting Receipts and Releases and preparing other documentation in support of the trust termination process.
- Drafting Discretionary Distribution and Special Investment Requests for presentation to Committee as part of the ongoing trust administration.
- Working collaboratively with Client Advising teams regarding client requests and trust transactions to ensure proper trust administration.
- Implementing special projects in support of department and fiduciary risk management initiatives. Ownership and leadership on these projects, with support from the Trust Officers, will provide an opportunity for the Assistant Trust Officer to shine.
- Law degree required.
- 1-3 years legal practice experience.
- Knowledge of trust or estate administration helpful, but not required.
- Familiarity with income, estate, gift and GST tax a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Must be a team player.
- Excellent computer skills; proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel; familiarity with PowerPoint; comfortable learning new software packages (banking-related).
- Highly motivated, solution oriented and a self-starter; independent thinking encouraged.
- Strong organizational skills (able to handle multiple priorities).
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
Please click here to apply for the position.
Securities licenses will not generally be obtained or maintained unless deemed by Bessemer Trust to be required in order for you to perform the responsibilities of this position.
Bessemer is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply