Bessemer Trust’s Delaware bank has an opening for an Assistant Trust Officer/Assistant Fiduciary Counsel in its Wilmington office, located in Wilmington’s Montchanin community. The office supports Ultra High Net Worth clients, and has grown since its formation in 2004, to administer more than 1,400 highly customized trusts with more than $92 billion in assets under supervision. Delaware’s unique trust laws and the ability of Delaware trusts to hold unconventional assets provide for a distinctively transactional work environment. The successful candidate will work on tasks and projects that will teach sophisticated estate planning techniques as well as income, gift, estate and other tax laws. Hands on training will provide the opportunity for the successful candidate to advance toward an assigned book of accounts and promotion to Trust Officer.
The successful candidate will work one-on-one with the department’s experienced Trust Officers, who will directly assign and supervise responsibilities of the position, which might include:
- Reviewing governing instruments (e.g. trust agreements and wills) for sophisticated trusts and preparing trust analyses as part of the Initial Trust Review process; following up on critical identified action items that remain outstanding to ensure proper trust administration.
- Drafting Direction Letters for complex business and trust asset transactions.
- Drafting Receipts and Releases and preparing other documentation in support of the trust termination process.
- Drafting Discretionary Distribution and Special Investment Requests for presentation to Committee as part of the ongoing trust administration.
- Working collaboratively with Client Advising teams regarding client requests and trust transactions to ensure proper trust administration.
- Implementing special projects in support of department and fiduciary risk management initiatives. Ownership and leadership on these projects, with support from the Trust Officers, will provide an opportunity for the Assistant Trust Officer to shine.
- J.D. required (and at least one license to practice law preferred).
- 2-3 years legal practice experience.
- Knowledge of trust or estate administration helpful, but not required.
- Familiarity with income, estate, gift and GST tax a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Effective at working in a team environment, collaborative, and respectful of others
- Effective computer skills; proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel; familiarity with PowerPoint; comfortable learning new software packages (banking-related).
- Motivated, solution oriented and a self-starter; independent thinking encouraged.
- Excellent organizational skills (able to handle multiple priorities).
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
If you are interested in the position, please submit an email with resume to Lillian Meyer (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please clearly indicate you are interested in the Wilmington, DE Assistant Trust Officer position.
Securities licenses will not generally be obtained or maintained unless deemed by Bessemer Trust to be required in order for you to perform the responsibilities of this position.
Please note: Bessemer requires that all applicants are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Additionally, applicants will need to provide proof of vaccination prior to starting employment.
Bessemer Trust is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply.